Before following a Cirrhosis Diet, one needs to have a sound knowledge about what is Cirrhosis? Cirrhosis is the result of chronic liver disease when the liver tissue is damaged and fibrous scar tissue and lumps occur. This disease leads to the improper functioning of liver. The main and most common cause of cirrhosis is alcoholism and hepatitis C. So while following Cirrhosis diet, the first and foremost thing that one need to take care of is stopping any intake of alcohol.
Diet for Cirrhosis can be as simple and healthy as one can follow even if the person is not prone to the disease. A heart and liver-healthy diet is what one should follow when prone to Cirrhosis. A basic diet and nutrition regime for a cirrhosis patient will comprise intake of foods which are low in fats and should also have ample intake of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains as they provide the adequate nutrition. A patient following a healthy diet regime when prone to Cirrhosis should also try to maintain a healthy weight.
Foods to be eaten while prone to Cirrhosis are:
- Carbohydrates: Cereals, dried beans, grains, breads, pasta, legumes, peas and rice. These foods provide blood glucose or sugar.
- Protein: soy, dairy products and fruits, vegetables. Protein helps to repair the body tissues and maintain the level of blood.
- Foods with minerals like zinc, calcium, and magnesium, anti-oxidants should also be taken.
- Herbs: Celery Seed, Dandelion, Green Tea, Licorice root, Milk thistle, Turmeric
Some special care and basic dietary habits that a Cirrhosis patient should follow is as follows:
- Limiting the intake of salt, foods rich in iron and fats
- Eating foods which are high in calories, carbohydrates and rich in protein
- Last but not the least, eliminating intake of alcohol and shell fish
- Intake of soft foods which are well cooked and appetizing
Sample diet plan for Cirrhosis
|Early Morning||Tea, arrowroot biscuit|
|Breakfast and Mid-morning||Sago, porridge, papaya, sweet potato, potato mix|
|Lunch||Vegetable pulav, curds|
|Evening||Tea, fruit juice and vermicelli|
|Dinner||Vegetable soup, noodle, macaroni, khichri|
|Bed time||Cornstarch pudding|