Yoga has the aim to maintain a balance between the body and mind, and in the process achieve enlightenment. In order to achieve its aims, yoga employs various movements, postures and meditation, thus ensuring a balanced and healthy approach to life. The powers of yoga are no more unknown to the world. People in different parts of the world are aware of the benefits and healing powers of yoga. As we all know, yoga no only increases the flexibility of the body but it has the ability to cure serious diseases. Doctors also often recommend yoga, as regular practice of yoga helps one to lead a healthy, disease-free life.
Healing Powers of Yoga
There is hardly any person who is not aware of the healing powers of Yoga. Regular performance of yoga, meditation and Pranayams has proved effective in curing the following ailments:
- Asthma: Yogasanas have exhibited tremendous success in improving asthma. It is also proved that asthmatic attacks can be easily prevented by yogic exercises, especially pranayamas. People can also stay away from the shortness of breath by performing necessary yogasanas.
- Body Pain: Yoga is considered to be very useful in reducing pain. People suffering from body pains are usually recommended breathing exercises because muscles relax when you breathe out, Breathing exercises lengthen the time of exhalation and in the process aids in reducing tension. Thus, breathing exercises helps a lot in pain management.
- Obesity: Obesity is a common problem in the age of Internet. People sit in front of computers for longer hours, and this does not help people in losing their excess body calorie. Yoga is a commonly recommended remedy to obesity. It helps you to burn your extra fat, and lead a healthy life.
- Stress Management: Yoga also lowers high blood pressure, and balances it. It works well in stress management.
- Insomnia: Yoga also acts as a remedy to Insomnia or sleeplessness.
- Arthritis: There are several exercises which act as cure for Arthritis. Yoga relaxes the muscles and relieves the practitioners from severe pain caused by Arthritis.
Along with several other benefits, Yoga has the special ability of healing. Since the ancient ages, people have been practising yoga for healing serious diseases. The healing ability of yoga is so great that it helps the practitioners in controlling body functions like blood pressure, heart beat, body temperature and also the metabolic functions. Researches have proved that individuals who practice yoga regularly are comparatively less prone to heart attacks and anxiety. Yoga can effectively lesson adverse affects of Parkinson's disease, Insomnia, infertility and multiple sclerosis.
Yoga healing Anxiety and Stress
The modern life is very fast and the work pressure is tremendous. And excessive work pressure often leads to stress and anxiety. Stress may lead to tight muscles, sweating, headaches and dry mouth, which in the long run can cause heart diseases and insomnia. In this age of anxiety, yoga can prove effective in relieving stress.
Yoga healing Obesity problem
The modern age is an age of slimming beauty. An obese person not only looks bad but also suffers from various diseases. Thus, it is extremely necessary to burn up the extra fat. Losing extra weight not only makes you healthy, but also keeps you healthy and fit. And as far as fitness, is concerned, there can be no better option than practicing yoga. Yoga helps you to lose your extra calorie and refreshes your muscles.
Healing Effect of Yoga
Yoga possesses an excellent healing power. Not only India, but also the western countries have accepted the power of yoga in killing ailments. Yoga has a healing effect on the following diseases:
- Menstrual problems
Yoga: A Good treatment for Anti-ageing
There is hardly any individual who does not want to look young and beautiful. Yoga happens to be an effective anti-ageing treatment, slowing down the process of aging. Regular practice of yoga adds elasticity to the spine and increases blood circulation, thus adding an extra glow to the skin. It tightens the skin and strengthens the abdominal muscles. Daily yoga also eliminates the possibility of double chin which makes one look older.
More facts about Yoga and Anti-ageing
Yoga adds to your psychological competence, thus making you feel younger. If there is any way to live life longer, there is nothing better than yoga. Other than this, Yoga provides you with greater immunity to fight the diseases. Swami Nikhilananda in his book, 'Vivekananda: The Yogas and Other Works', talks about the effectiveness of Hathayoga in making people live long. Hundred years is not a matter for him who practices yoga regularly. According to Swami Nikhilananda, Yoga has the potential to keep a 100 yr old person fresh and young without a single hair turned gray.
Anti-ageing Effects of Yoga
Major anti-aging effects of Yoga have been pointed out below:
Long Life: Yoga influences the significant organs that are considered to be determining factor of long life.
Rejuvenates the glands: Yoga has remarkable effects on thyroid, sex, pituitary and adrenal glands. The effect of yoga on these glands keeps you away from premature aging.
Increases vitality: Yoga makes the practitioners energetic and cheerful.
Reduces Gray hair: Yogasans delays the graying of hairs. More than that, inverted yogasanas can turn gray hair to its original color.
Stress Management with Yoga
The art of yoga dates back to 5000 years in history. Yoga originated in India and gradually its influence began to spread in all the corners of the world. People all over are gradually realizing the powers of Yoga. Stress management is one of them. Yoga is a great stress reliever and one is advised to follow a set of yogasanas and meditation for stress management. Yoga for stress management works like a miracle. The only thing that matters is how regularly you practice the techniques of yoga.
How Yoga helps in Stress Management?
Yoga is said to have long term effect on stress than any pills or herbs which can only relieve you of stress for some time. This is because the art of yoga uses the combination of several techniques that directly impact stress reduction. Yoga packs in several breathing and stretching exercises which are beneficial in reducing stress. Apart from these, meditation is also known to be a great stress reliever. However, one needs to be regular and committed to yoga to feel its effectiveness.
Stress Management Yoga Postures
Stress management through yoga can be effectively done practicing Hatha yoga on a regular basis. Hatha yoga postures are considered the best for reducing stress management and relieving hyper tension. It also reduces tension. Yoga stress management is an effective therapy for reducing stress resulting from high blood pressure.
Some of the stress management techniques through yoga are:
- Balasana - This is one of the best known asanas for mediation and relaxation. The asana is effective against hypertension and high blood pressure. To perform this asana you have bend your knees with the lower legs on the ground. Then resting the chest on the knees you will have to stretch you head in the forward direction towards the floor. Then you have to stretch the arms forward.
- Savasana - For performing this asana, you have to lay flat on the back and spread out your limbs at an angle of 45 degrees. Then you will need to take deep breaths using the pranayama technique. You are supposed to concentrate on something that will calm you. Staying like this for 10 to 15 minutes is recommended.
- Makarasana - This asana employs a typical crocodile pose where one needs to stretch out the legs lying flat on the stomach. The elbows of the hand should be resting on the ground with the head held by both the palms. Then you will have to practice deep breathing in this position for 5-10 minutes.
Weight Loss and Yoga
Obesity or over-eight problem is very common in India. Sitting in front of the computer and typing for 8-9 hours, we may feel we have done a lot of work, but then that is only sedentary work we are doing. On top of this most of us love to eat food packed with calories like ice-creams, burgers, rolls and all sorts of fast foods. Sedentary work plus fast food minus exercise can lead to what else other than building up weight? For this reason it is important that we include yoga in our daily routine. The concept of weight loss with yoga has already become very popular in the western countries and now you can opt for it too, to trim down those excess fats.
How Yoga helps in Weight Loss?
A few minutes of yoga on the start of the day will not only balance up for your high calorie intake but also boost you up with fresh energy. The yogasanas stimulate the hormonal secretions which in turn affect our body metabolism and weight. The asanas gear up fat metabolism and this converts the fat to muscle and useful energy. This is how yoga for weight loss acts as the best medicine.
Yoga Weight Loss Steps
The process of weight reduction with yoga is really simple. All you have to do is follow these easy steps of yoga weight loss program:
Get hold of a yoga expert and determine your dosha type. This in turn will help you determine which are the right weight loss treatments for you depending on your spiritual, mental and physical traits.
Learn those yoga poses which deal with fat reduction and stress management. Also learn the techniques for meditation and proper breathing.
Making the right eating plan is also important. A dietician can help you out on this part.
How to Lose Weight with Yoga?
If you are planning for weight less with yoga then do keep the following points in mind:
- All the yoga postures or asanas do not effectively cause weight loss. This is because all the asanas cannot give you that cardiovascular workout which can trim down the excess fat. Iyengar form of yoga is one such type. Therefore slimming with yoga can only be successful if you make the right selection of asanas and practice them regularly.
- Vinyasa is the kind of yoga one should practice to lose weight. Also called flow yoga, the asanas involved in this yoga comprises a series of 'Sun Salutation' poses.
- Ashtanga Yoga is one type of yoga which is ideal for weight loss. Power Yoga is also greatly beneficial in cutting down excess fat. Besides, you can also try Hot Yoga which is performed in specially designed hot rooms.
- A vigorous yoga of 90-minutes is recommended thrice a week.
- Combining yoga with walking, running and aerobics can fasten up the weight loss process.
A Word of Caution
Since the yogic techniques are not always simple and may cause internal or external injury to the body, it is advisable that the yogasanas are performed only under the supervision of an expert. Taking guidance from the Yoga tutorials available in DVDs and CDs can also help.