The problem of obesity has plagued numerous countries in the world including India. It has made people in India look towards diet plans that promise quick weight-loss. Fad Diets in India have been able to make an impact on health-conscious Indians.
What is a Fad Diet?
A Fad Diet is a dietary plan or method that gains short-term popularity with the people. It promises to help obese individuals to lose weight in a few days or weeks time. Fad Diets can include anything from modifications of the Atkins Diet to the unsustainable cabbage soup diet. Generally, a fad diet could also turn out to be unhealthy for the person who adopts it.
Important points to remember
You need to ask yourself the following questions before you decide to follow any of the fad diet programs.
- Is it going to help me lose weight?
- It the weight-loss maintainable in the long run?
- Is it healthy to follow the fad diet plan?
In most of the cases, fad diets are not only unhealthy but also unsustainable. So even if you lose weight, there is no guarantee that you are not going to regain the lost weight.
Fad Diet Programs
Some of the Fad Diet programs, that had made an impression on Indians, are listed below:
- Special K Challenge Diet
- Cabbage Soup Diet
- Grapefruit Diet
Instead of following a Fad Diet, you could instead adopt the following alternatives which may help you to lose weight in a sustainable and healthy manner.
- Have all nutrients in moderate quantity.
- Follow a balanced diet that includes minerals, vitamins and fibres.
- Consult dieticians and nutrition experts before you start following any of the diet plans.
- Regular exercises will help you to remain healthy.
A Fad Diet could help you to lose weight in a few days time, but the same can cause more harm than good.