Nutrition has evolved into an imperative factor that we should all consider carefully. There is no scope to undermine the importance of proper nutrition for leading a healthy lifestyle, especially in this age of junk and hurry. Apparently, nutrition is the science of studying the process by which living organisms acquire all the nutrients required for our growth. It is quintessential to understand the various facets of nutrition starting from its types to facts and balanced diet to the results of imbalance in nutrient consumption.
- There are mainly six classes of nutrients, which include carbohydrates, fats, minerals, vitamin, protein, and water.
- The nutrient classes are categorized into macronutrients (required in large quantity) and micronutrients (required in smaller amount).
- Carbohydrates, proteins, fats, fiber, and water are regarded as the macronutrients. The micronutrients include minerals and vitamins.
- Proteins are required in large quantity to provide amino acids needed for cell construction, primarily the muscle cells
- Carbohydrates are one of the important classes of nutrients as they are metabolized to provide energy.
- Vitamins and minerals are vital for many metabolic processes.
- Fatty acids are essential for the construction of brain and cell membrane.
Importance of a Balanced Diet
Proper Nutrition refers to the balanced diet that meets our minimum nutritional requirements. Food provides nutrients from proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, dietary minerals, fats and water. Following a strict diet regime that ensures sufficient consumption of essential nutrients is an easy way to embark upon a healthy life.
There are not many better alternatives to a hale and hearty life than to follow a balanced diet. Besides supplying you energy, proper nutrition is also essential for improving your immune system. You know you are reaping benefits of proper nutrition when you witness the increasing level of concentration and lesser instances of fatigue. Having proper nutrition delay the signs of aging and you stay active even in the old age.
How to realize the full potential of a healthy diet?
In order to realize the full potential of a healthy diet you need to follow the basics:
- It is preferable to have 5 or 6 small meals every day. Eating after every 2 or 3 hours is a good habit.
- Drink more than 2 litres of water every day.
- Skipping your meal, especially breakfast is not a good idea.
- Processed and refined foods should be a strict no-no.
- You cannot afford saturated and trans-fats but it is always allowed to consume sufficient healthy fats.
- Give sugar candies a miss and avoid consuming foods which are high on calorie.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet meet your vitamins and enzymes requirements.
- Remember that alcohol is also another form of sugar. Avoid it.
What is Malnutrition? How can it be treated?
Malnutrition, also known as insufficient nutrition, poses a major challenge to both the developed and developing nations. Malnutrition is associated either with insufficient consumption or excessive intake. Insufficient nutrition is referred to the lack of nutrients in the diet necessary for the growth and sustenance of important functions.
Depending on the severity of malnutrition you have to decide on your daily diet. Medical practitioners recommend food containing enough calories and provide sufficient supply of vitamins and minerals. When the condition of the affected ones is critical and they require immediate treatment doctors prescribe artificial nutritional support, which include passing a liquid feed directly into the stomach through a tube.
Being informed about one’s nutritional intake and following a strict diet regime help people in staying in good physical shape. Consuming right kind of food at the right time works wonders for those who want to see themselves hale and hearty for a longer period of time.